The Problem Framing Studio
Building Alignment in Your Team
This studio session guides your team through activities to outline “the big why” of the project, the constraints, success criteria, and high-level action planning. You’ll leave in lock-step and a design brief in hand.
This Digital Studio session is for you if…
- Your team has a high-priority project coming to life and could use a really powerful kick-off to build momentum, energy, and alignment in your team.
- Your team has gotten several weeks into a project and realized that you’re solving the wrong problem or you’re all solving different problems. (Don’t worry, it’s happened to all of us at some point!)
- You whole-heartedly believe that time spent on good planning up front creates efficiencies in time, money, and people down the road. (If your team doesn’t believe this yet, bring them to this studio session!)
Your teams will work on and leave with the following deliverables:
- A Project Design Brief that captures the outcomes of each studio session activity and will serve as the north star to align your team throughout the project
- A Team Project Charter to align the group on rituals, team empathy, and working styles
- An Action Equation and Plan with a starter set of project activities, milestones, next steps, and owners
Facilitated activities include:
- Team Empathy: Get to know a new side of your team members to understand how to work best as a team in the studio and beyond
- Vision of the Future: Aligning on ‘The Big Why’ behind the work and the impact it will have if successful
- Constraints Mapping: Get clear on the sandbox we can play within, so we don’t waste time other places
- Solution Mapping: Create a set of design principles to guide ideation based on ‘what’s in’ and ‘what’s out’
- Metrics Mapping: Name the success metrics and criteria that our team and project are accountable for from a business, customer, and culture perspective
- Pre-Mortem: Scenario planning for the things that could bring the project to a halt and strategies for mitigating them in advance
- Action Plan: Map your team’s Action Equation (Time x People x Outcomes) and begin to create a shared project plan
Optional pre-work to super charge your Studio Session:
- Stakeholder Mapping: Understand the specific people and teams we should amplify and avoid throughout the project (including in this studio session!). We’ll share a template you can use to workshop this activity on your own before coming into the studio.
Interested? Contact us today!