Director, Marketing & Brand
The Design Gym (TDG) is a creative agency that empowers people inside of organizations to make things, break things, and create dramatically better ways to work.
We’re people-first problem-solvers, deep listeners and dedicated doers, storytellers and experience makers, and passionate agents of positive change. We’re here to help the world’s most important organizations create products, services and experiences that solve problems that really matter.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The TDG Marketing & Brand team translates the ethos, work, and passion of The Design Gym into a narrative and brand that inspires the world. They work hand-in-hand (literally sometimes) with members of our Public team (all of our open enrollment workshops), our Enterprise team (our consulting practice to support organizational culture change), and our Community Team (specially curated events and experiences for creative rebels around the world) to make sure we have the right people in the room and the right stories in the world. We’re extremely proud of the work we do and the way we think about impact, and this team’s job is making sure those points of view are making it into the right people’s orbit. From our website to social media channels, and from pop-up taco shops to secret society dinner clubs, there are no limits to how this team of creative provocateurs make the magic happen.
ABOUT THE ROLE – DIRECTOR, MARKETING + BRAND
The Director of TDG’s Marketing + Brand team is responsible for crafting a vision of how to bring TDG to the world and a strategy for getting it in the hands of our target customers, managing a team of internal marketers and external freelancers to bring it to life, and representing an important voice in the leadership team to maximize the business’s growth and impact. This person should be consistently comfortable toggling between directing a strategic vision with rolling up their sleeves to bring it to life. In a small but growing company, this job is just as much about deciding what not to pursue as it is deciding what we do; it’s about balancing magic with reality; and about promoting our most successful offerings while imagining the future of what could be.
Above all, this role requires someone who balances a creative mindset with a keen pursuit of business objectives. Our Directors possess strong interpersonal skills, exhibit empathy for others, and excel at building solid relationships based on trust.
Additionally, this role functions as a human-centered design and culture change expert within TDG and will manage a small team of marketing professionals across website, social media, business strategy, community engagement, branding and messaging, and client communications. They will be reporting directly to the CEO and be an active part of the leadership team.
What Does Success Look Like?
DIRECTING THE INTERNAL/EXTERNAL MARKETING TEAM (50%)
- You effectively oversee the internal marketing team, as well as a network of external freelancers and partners, to accomplish all strategic marketing goals in support of the business.
- You advocate for your team and needs to the TDG leadership team, managing up with fluidity and self-awareness.
- You build influence as a role model for behavior, mindsets and accountability by walking the walk—not just talking the talk.
- You earn trusting relationships with others by demonstrating honesty, consistency, reliability and professional competence. You are focused on helping others achieve their goals and aspirations.
- You tune into other’s feelings, thoughts and daily context and show a genuine interest in other people. You ask questions often, listen keenly and easily adapt to different social and communications environments.
- You foster positive relationships with team members and communicate regularly and effectively.
- You delegate to team members and create an environment where they can take individual initiative and succeed.
- You help to create a positive, learning experience for each team member and have a reputation as someone that colleagues in the organization would like to collaborate with.
- You help set goals and tasks for team members and follow up on progress.
- You set priorities and stick to them. You create balance between meeting short term business needs and making space for long-term activities such as relationship building, professional development and self-improvement.
- You see information and knowledge as a treasure to be shared and participate in activities to promote knowledge sharing for everyone in support of organizational goals and OKRs.
DEVELOPING MARKETING STRATEGY TO ACHIEVE BUSINESS GOALS (20%)
- You play a critical role in the business development team to support their success and growth through strategic marketing recommendations and experience based insights.
- You understand and can articulate our customer’s most critical issues and challenges and serve as a thought partner to our team to facilitate the development of successful marketing approaches.
- You are intimately familiar with our target personas and how they map back to our offerings. You are out meeting them, listening to them, and testing concepts with them regularly.
- You offer a strong point-of-view and big-picture thinking, but are able to translate that into concrete roadmaps, OKRs, and budgets.
- You collaborate with the team to design customized solutions that truly work for them and our customers. You are willing to buck conventional wisdom and feel comfortable taking risks that pushes our customers (and the team) in new and different directions. You like to have some fun with your marketing approaches.
- You have an expert understanding of TDG’s service offerings and represent those capabilities at every touchpoint with the client.
- You have a keen ear to the ground about what is happening in the global innovation, design, and culture strategy world, and can translate those trends into strategic recommendations for TDG.
- You bring a set of fresh eyes to the work TDG does, and are fluent in identifying and distilling it into compelling marketing and awareness campaigns. You are obsessed with trying to make sure external perception of our brand and work matches the rigor and passion happening internally.
EXECUTING STRATEGIC PROJECTS (30%)
- You are comfortable rolling your sleeves up, and are proficient in leading a variety of marketing initiatives, such as developing and managing strategic partnerships, overseeing website redesigns, developing social media campaigns, guiding PR initiatives, producing events, and more.
- As a small business, you are able to see the role these projects play in our larger growth strategy.
- You manage projects in a way that ensures the right balance of profitability, sustainability and great results.
- You forecast, deliver and communicate value to the team by delivering against the work and engaging the internal leadership team.
- You have a strong network of relationships with key individuals and influencers in a variety of industries and purpose-driven organizations.
- You have a track record of building strong relationships with executive decision makers and are able to evolve those relationships repeatedly, from contract to client. You consistently support the conversion of leads into paid projects by collaborating with team members to develop strategies that address the client’s unique needs.
- You work with individual team members to understand their unique voice and translate that into thoughtful content that represents the brand.
Required Skills & Experience
- Intermediate knowledge required across all areas with mastery in at least three competencies:
- Digital marketing
- Web optimization and SEO
- Social media
- Community building
- Content strategy, developing, and editing
- Art direction
- Audience growth
- Brand development and marketing
- Event production
- Strong emotional intelligence, communication, presentation and storytelling skills as well as the ability to interact effectively, empathetically and courteously with all levels of employees and management
- 10-15 years of relevant experience, ideally some of which has been spent doing marketing within a design strategy or creative agency of some sort
- At least 3 years in a leadership role leading marketing teams, with a proven track record of developing and executing strategies with success
- Ability to build relationships cross-functionally and lead toward common goals
- Solid creative problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and critical thinking abilities
- Proven track record of taking action and “getting things done” with minimal guidance
- Travel as needed for marketing initiatives, conferences, and partnerships
- This is a full-time position based in New York City
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Design Gym LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the humans and organizations we serve. We welcome applications from humans of any race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. All aspects of employment, including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs.
Send resumes to [email protected], and include the role you’re applying for and your full name in the subject line.