14 Sep HIRING: Marketing Director (NYC)
The Design Gym is an educational company that teaches some of the most forward thinking organizations in the world how to infuse their culture with greater autonomy and tools to enhance collaboration. We’ve had the pleasure of working with the NYC Dept. of Education, Capital One, Etsy, DonorsChoose.org, Marriott and Next Big Sound to name a few. In addition to our client work we teach public classes that make the tools of Design Thinking, facilitation, and creative thinking accessible to the fine folks of New York City. We have been experiencing substantial growth in the past 12 months and are thrilled to be inviting some motivated and creative folks to join us for the next chapter.
The Marketing Director will collaborate with the TDG Managing Partners to build and implement a cohesive strategy to support the growth of both sides of the business (public and corporate). This role begs a balance of a wide variety of skills, making it both exciting and challenging. Some of the hats that will need to be worn include: community catalyst, developer of strategic insights and archetypes, amplifier of the interesting, and translator to make messages cohesive across the two primary business units.
– Working with Managing Partners to set key objectives for marketing and build cohesive strategy around those objectives
– Reviewing marketing analytics to assess effectiveness of strategy and make changes as needed
– Growing brand awareness in the NYC market to support ‘butt’s in seats’ for our public classes and business development for our client work
– Developing campaigns and strategies to help TDG break into new geographic markets
– Oversee our agency relationships, a team of freelancers and part-time marketers to support key business objectives.
– Developing and executing our content strategy, including writing our newsletter, filling social media queues, and partnering with internal and external stakeholders to develop thought leadership
– Brainstorming and planning unique events and activations to boost the brand
– Strengthening relationships with media outlets to expand PR
– Interviewing clients and community members to learn about where we fit in their life, and testimonials we can share more broadly
What we’re looking for:
– Someone with at least 5 – 8 years of experience in a diversity of marketing roles, having both overseen teams and delivered on implementation
– Ideally someone who has worked in a role motivating and moving communities of people, such as in community groups, growing companies, political organizing, fundraising or events promotion.
– A gifted writer who enjoys writing
– Experience with large scale content strategy and growing community lists via digital and in physical channels
– Ideally working experience with Mailchimp, Buffer, Google Analytics, and WordPress. Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
– A person with the confidence to build their own plan, own it when it doesn’t work and find ways to work around roadblocks.
– A strong network and a track record for creating impact within that network for the betterment of the people in it.
– The ability to navigate ambiguity and bounce between high-level strategy and working through the details.
The single greatest factor we’ve found in successful team members is a strong sense of self-awareness. We’re not looking for a perfect person as we don’t come close to fitting that mold ourselves – but we do need a sharp collaborator with a strong sense of honesty and willingness to go all in on the work. Also, it’s just plain non-negotiable that you’re fun to be around – we play by the no ass holes rule.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Marketing Director’. Please include:
– Something to let us know why you think you’re a good fit for the job (cover letter, interactions with TDG, portfolio, feature length film)
– 300 words or less on a community you’re inspired by and what you believe it is they’re rallying around