- This event has passed.
The Studio Project: Design Thinking Master Class
September 24, 2014 @ 6:00 pm - November 12, 2014 @ 9:00 pm
LEARN BY DOING, ACCELERATE YOUR INSIGHTS
A Studio Project is a chance to work over a longer period of time with a team, under creative direction. Each week will build on the next and the work will be highly collaborative. It’s the closest we can get to simulating working in an innovation lab and will help you bring these techniques into your own work.
Over the course of Five Sessions , you’ll dig into a real challenge alongside a client team, getting a real time, real life opportunity to learn design thinking in practice.
Want to learn more?
APPLY HERE, REGISTER BELOW:
You’ll build a research and insights plan collaboratively, and get feedback and insights as you go. At the end of the class, you’ll have your own case study on bringing a concept from research through insights and strategy.
Between classes, you and your team will work together to execute on your research plan, and do real-world customer and stakeholder research. Each week we’ll move through the phases of design – at the end, developing a series of insights, concepts and pitches to your client.
WHEN ARE THE SESSIONS?
Each session will be held on Wednesday nights from 6:00pm – 9:15pm. These will be a mixture of group learning sessions, private coaching ‘office hour’ sessions, and client check-in sessions (see outline below).
HOW MUCH TIME IS REQUIRED OUTSIDE OF CLASS?
The real work, experience, and fun will be achieved outside of the classroom. You should plan on meeting with your team a few times in between each class. Set aside a weekend afternoon, maybe! These might range in doing a 45 minute interview to spending a half-day doing store visits to spending a full day frameworking and developing insights. It’s up to you and your team to find a schedule that works for you. We find that teams spend an additional 5-7 hours a week meeting and working together.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
In this class, participants will get a deeper understanding of how each phase of design works and how to navigate them, in practice.
SEPTEMBER 24 | KICK-OFF MEETING
- Meet other participants
- Review the project plan
- Get background on the client and brief and formulate a research plan
OCTOBER 1 | EXAMINE
- Different types of design research
- Knowing what types of research to use when
- Research planning: who to talk to, when to talk, where to talk, how many to talk to, what to talk about.
OCTOBER 8| WORKING SESSION
- Coaching on research methods and execution
OCTOBER 15 | UNDERSTAND + IDEATE
- How to turn research into useful strategies and insights
- How to collaboratively build alignment on project scope and direction
OCTOBER 22 | OFFICE HOURS
- Coaching on framework and insight development
OCTOBER 29 | IDEATE + EXPERIMENT + DISTIL
- How to move from insights to Ideas
- Ideation tools and techniques
- Rapid prototyping
- The types of prototyping and key tools to use in each
- User testing and feedback
- Synthesis and Redesign
- Storytelling essentials and concept boards
NOVEMBER 5 | OFFICE HOURS
- Coaching on concept prototypes and final pitches
NOVEMBER 12 | FINAL PRESENTATIONS + DEBRIEF
- Discuss the best ways to apply this experience and learning back to your individual work or job
Used together, the phases of design will help you and your team work through problems and design sprints quickly and much, much more fluidly. The phases of design provide a powerful lens and mindset for any project: Designing a physical or digital product, service or customer experience, while bringing a deeper level of humanity and collaboration to your working style.
You might want to take a look at our refund and cancellation policy!