The Design Gym is an educational company that teaches some of the most forward thinking organizations in the world how to infuse their culture with greater autonomy and tools to enhance collaboration. We’ve had the pleasure of working with the NYC Dept. of Education, Capital One, Etsy, DonorsChoose.org, Marriott and Next Big Sound to name a few. In addition to our client work we teach public classes that make the tools of Design Thinking, facilitation, and creative thinking accessible to the fine folks of New York City. We have been experiencing substantial growth in the past 12 months and are thrilled to be inviting some motivated and creative folks to join us for the next chapter.
As a Client Training Lead, you will be working with some of the world’s most inspiring companies, helping them to understand the working styles and tools required for a more creative and inspired culture. Our clients come to us with a deep desire to create change and open the next chapter of their growth, but are often lacking the common language, tools, or work environment to make it happen. Our job is to use education and learning experiences to empower their teams to do the best work of their careers.
Don’t be fooled – this is not your typical consulting gig. Unlike most places, we do not pretend to be the smartest people in the room, and shy away from touting our next academic theory or highly protected IP. We only work with clients that are incredibly inspiring, capable, and joyful to spend time with, and are proud to say that most all of our clients have developed into long term friends who are often stopping in at our public events. We’re looking for team members who share a similar passion and respect for the clients we choose to collaborate with.
– Working with the Managing Partners to set key objectives for corporate education, including creation of new offerings, development of quarterly goals, and growth of the internal team and culture.
– Managing and deepening account relationships with current and past clients.
– Designing and executing client training, which ranges from one off learning experiences to multi-month cultural transformation engagements, and with clients of all shapes and sizes (literally a public middle school in South Brooklyn one week to the board room of a Fortune 10 company another)
– Ability to identify opportunities and sell new work, although cold calling is rarely a part of this. Our leads generally come through our public workshops and word of mouth, making sales a much more organic, human experience.
– Working with TDG team to elevate the brand through thought leadership opportunities in media and on stage.
– Writing proposals and brainstorming with prospective clients how to best influence change at their organizations
– Coordinating cross-client experiences and social activities (ex. fishing trips, family dinners, field trips)
What we’re looking for:
– Someone with at least 5-7 years of experience in a design strategist, brand strategist, management consulting, or relevant client facing role
– Deep knowledge of the design thinking process, with the experience and war stories to back it up
– An ability to balance a big, front of room personality with a humble and empathetic coaching mindset. Improv or acting background is a plus.
– Experience building and growing teams of people, setting internal culture norms, and onboarding new hires.
– Someone who is excited to assume a teaching and coaching relationship with clients, and thrives on creating impact and culture change over time.
– Someone with a proven habit of creating magical moments for the people they work around – there is nothing we love more than surprising and delighting the amazing clients we work with.
– A person with the confidence to build their own plan, own it when it doesn’t work and find ways to work around roadblocks.
– A strong network and a track record for creating impact within that network for the betterment of the people in it.
– From opening up a new client relationship to closing the contract, we’re looking for someone who has experience throughout the entire sales process.
– Someone comfortable traveling, on average 1-3 days at a time, a few times each month.
– The ability to navigate ambiguity and bounce between high-level strategy and working through the details.
The single greatest factor we’ve found in successful team members is a strong sense of self-awareness. We’re not looking for a perfect person as we don’t come close to fitting that mold ourselves – but we do need a sharp collaborator with a strong sense of honesty and willingness to go all in on the work. Also, it’s just plain non-negotiable that you’re fun to be around – we play by the no ass holes rule.
Email us at email@example.com with the subject line ‘Client Training Lead’. Please include:
– Something to let us know why you think you’re a good fit for the job (cover letter, interactions with TDG, portfolio, feature length film)
– 300 words or less on how you transformed a client relationship or partnership into something that had profound impact on both you and the business.